Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Under the Circumstances

Tonight is the beginning of Rosh HaShanah…the first of the Jewish High Holydays. It’s a time when we’re commanded to hear the shofar blast—the trumpet of the Lord sound. It’s an awakening…a time when our spiritual ears are alert…a call to reflect on the previous year. Where did I go wrong? At what can I do better? It’s a time when God is very near to us…faithful to hear our hearts, hear our cries…to really see us where we are.

I just had a text conversation with a friend. It went something like this:

Me: “So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11. God gave you a word! It will accomplish what He sent it to do.

Friend: I can’t believe you just sent me that scripture! Talk about confirmation! That was on my heart as I went to sleep last night.

Me: God sees you, Friend! He really sees you!

But even as I wrote the words, I couldn’t help but hear His voice. I see you, Jace. I really see you.

I haven’t posted in awhile. Truth is that I posted on Sunday, but after lying awake for hours Sunday night (and into Monday morning), I decided to take it down.

You see, I’ve been “under the circumstances” lately. And that post…while potentially encouraging to some…was written from my bleak position “under the circumstances.” It’s not a good place to be…under the circumstances. We’re called to a higher place…to a secret place. We’re called to cast our care, to take his yoke, to seek Him. We’re called to rejoice in all things, knowing that God is in control and that all things work together for good (Romans 8:28).

But sometimes…we need reminding.

Seek the Lord while He may be found. Call upon Him while He is near (Isaiah 55:6).

During the season of Rosh HaShanah, a time when God is readily found…when He’s so near at times I feel I can physically touch Him, may You seek Him. May you be reminded that He sees you…really sees you. And may you be comforted…over the circumstances.
Linking up with Internet Cafe for Word-filled Wednesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment