Monday, September 12, 2011

My To-Do List


I sat reflecting on my day. My to-do list:

  1. Take the boys to Musik Garten. Check.
  2. Unload dishwasher. Check.
  3. Load it back. Check.
  4. Generally, clean kitchen. Check.
  5. Start and finish a load of laundry. Check.
  6. Fold all clothes piled on couch. Check.
  7. Sort boys’ closet, boxing up all 12-month clothes.  Check.
  8. Clean table in preparation for dinner. Check.
  9. Cook dinner (a new goal of mine.) Check. And it was good…check, check!
  10. Boys bathed. Devotions read. Both in bed fast asleep. Ahhhh…check.

Wow! For someone that meets the challenge of housework with the enthusiasm that one faces a colonoscopy, I was fairly impressed with the days’ accomplishments. So why couldn’t I shake the feeling that something was missing. “Lord, why do I feel like such a failure tonight?” I prayed, hoping He’d reveal the mystery.

I hear a soft whisper. Relationship. I didn’t get it. I’d started the day with Him. “God, did I not do enough? Did I not give enough time to you? Are you asking for more?” I went to bed frustrated and unsatisfied.

The next morning as I read through chapter four of Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World (this week’s Bible study from the Bible CafĂ© for Women), I found my answer.

But regardless of our temperament, regardless of our emotional preference, we are all called to intimacy with God….Just come as you are. As a child of God. Children, after all, love intimacy. (pp. 60-61)

Children. My children. Salem and Elijah.

Again, I looked at yesterday’s list, and my spirit is grieved. I started my day with them, and I ended my day with them, but where were they in between? They were around. I tended their needs. But I did little to build relationship with them. I did nothing to promote intimacy. I wonder as an adult how much they’ll care about my to-do list.

I take out today’s list and start over.

  1. Time with God. Check.
  2. Build intimacy with family….
I hear the sounds of Salem’s sweet morning babbles from down the hall, and I’m off to work on today’s list. 



  1. His renewed mercies.
  2. He did the grocery shopping.
  3. Napping babies
  4. A night cap
  5. Available friends
  6. Streaming church services
  7. Coffee
  8. He enjoys coffee, too.
  9. Fried chicken
  10. Good family
  11. Loose definitions
  12. Laughter
  13. Pack in plays
  14. Structure
  15. Flexibility
  16. My Mr. Fix It
  17. Hand-me-downs
  18. Watermelon & fruit dip
  19. That adorable smile
  20. That he tries to laugh even with tears streaming down his face.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful food for thought. Also as a busy mama I often leave out what's most important. Intimate relationship building and special time with those I love. You're right, our to-do list won't matter much in the end : ) Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your list : )

    Sweet Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love any list that contains coffee:) I can relate to the challenge of using time on to-do's rather than on relationships. I've read that Mary book, I probably ought to get it back out again:) Thanks for sharing (and for visiting my little blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm not mistaken, this is my first visit here. What have I been missing!
    I really enjoyed your post today. Your words ministered to me greatly. Thank you!
    I'm your newest NWB follower.
    Visiting from Multitudes on Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful words of wisdom here. I have a do list a mile long and work full time. It's so hard to balance work, ministry and family. But I know that next to God, my family must come second. Visiting from Ann's place today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, so convicting. i could relate so very well. thanks for the reminder, and the encouragement that followed.
    blessings!

    ReplyDelete