Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Detective Work


7. At Oxford, Mary Russell concludes that theology and detective work are one and the same. In your opinion, how are the two subjects related?

My book club was dissecting The Beekeeper’s Apprentice, and we all sat there staring at each other as if the answer to this seemingly simple question could be found in the blank stares of our fellow readers. Obviously, this fictional protagonist knew something we did not. Perhaps that’s why she was chosen as Sherlock Holmes’ apprentice rather than any one of the thirteen of us who sat perplexed. The nature of the question alludes to the answer; the two are related, or it would have asked “if” not “how.” And as I made contact with the questioning eyes of *T* across from me, my spirit came alive.

“I totally get it!” I exclaimed with utter excitement.

Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. James 4:8

We start with a request. God, help me….

That turns into a plea. God, please help me…

That transforms into a bargain. God, if you will only help me, I’ll…

And born from desperation is a need to see what He’ll do. What will God do? To what has He already agreed? My Bible flails open. Show me, God. Show me. Reveal yourself to me.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7

And there it is. Detective work.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how many times God shows up during the day and we don't even recognize him? We're too busy with our daily routines to hear him in the voice of our friends, family, neighbors and people we interact with at the bank, grocery store,etc..

    We have a promise in the scripture you quoted, Mt 7:7, that he WILL show up. So, ask, seek and knock IF YOU DARE....he WILL appear. I like this reminder to get out my spy glass every morning and shine it up so I can see him as he appears throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete