Saturday, September 3, 2011

Precious Gifts


As yet another toy went sailing through the air only to clang across the floor, I took in a deep breath and did my own version of “count to ten.” My 15-month-old twins were in the midst of pack-in-play time and finding it great joy to throw every one of their mind-stimulating toys across the floor to hear the noise they made as they rolled across the tile. Needless-to-say, after about the tenth little clangdy-clang-clang, my nerves were on edge.

“Fine!” I looked at them as if they were little adults. “When you finally have all your toys thrown out, you won’t have any more to play with.” When this didn’t have quite the behavior-changing effect I desired, I followed with “And when that timer goes off, you’re going to have to stay in there until Mommy picks up every one of those toys!” There, that’ll teach them!

But it didn’t. They continued until, sure enough, every one of those toys was scattered around the room, under the couch, in the kitchen, and through the office door. (It appears my little guys have quite an arm.) What’s more, they were ecstatic. They didn’t feel my frustration at all. They were never happier, and I was irritated at the pick-up job I had waiting for me when that timer finally rang.

And as I sat on the couch furiously folding a basket of baby laundry, I heard the most glorious sound. It was the giggles and at times all out laughter of my boys playing together. At times, the laughter would stop and be interspersed by the sheet rustling underneath them as they wrestled, but it wasn’t long before they were at it again, laughing in sheer delight. And my heart soared.

“Is this worth it?” I hear His soft voice whisper. “Is this worth the effort it takes to round up those little toys off the floor?” And immediately, I was humbled. To think, I almost missed it. Again, I was so consumed with me that I almost missed the gift He had waiting for me. The words I’d read earlier that morning came back to me. It’s easy to get discouraged by focusing on the negative.

I wonder how many of Adonai’s precious gifts I’ve missed by focusing on the negative. Each day, He gives us a gift of new life…a chance to start over…to wipe the slate clean and begin anew (Lamentations 3:22-23). Yet, how often do I miss it?

Father, please help me to open my eyes and my heart to see You…to see You in everything…even when it looks like you’re not there. Open my ears to hear Your tender voice as you gently correct me and get me back on track. Thank you for your love and grace…for your mercies that begin again each morning. Thank you for your precious gifts; open my eyes to see them.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jace. I needed this! The Lord is already using you mightily through your writings. I can't wait to see what He does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a magnet a good friend gave me; it reads, "Each day comes bearing its own gifts, untie the ribbons."

    Your post is a great reminder to look for ALL the blessings!!

    ReplyDelete