Friday, September 16, 2011

True Joy

5-Minute Friday time! ... where you just write for five minutes without worrying whether it's just right or not. I'm linking up with the Gypsy Mama for today's topic: Joy

Go.
 
...to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair... Isaiah 61:3

“Dinner’s at 6! Dinner’s at 6, not 7!” My husband frantically told me on the phone. It was 5:30, and I was across town picking up the boys. The boys…the boys who were outside when I pulled up…no shoes, leave-strewn clothing, stains of food down their fronts. My thought was to them. “Oh well…it’s living real, right?” I sighed. I shrugged. I hated that we would be meeting our potential new LifeGroup members from our church, and my boys looked less than stellar. They weren’t even wearing twin gear…my fault from the morning rush. Lack of planning.

I loaded the herd and took off. Halfway there… “what’s this? WHAT’S THIS?!?!” I pull the mirror down from behind the visor. “UGH!!! Why didn’t someone tell me I had a zit the size of Dallas emerging on my chin?! The least I could’ve done was borrowed some make-up.” Oh well…living real, right.

Skip to dinner. Chick-fil-a. Four families and all their beautiful, hair-out-of-place, snot-nosed kids. “You remind me of this beautiful girl I knew in high school. You could be twins.” She leaned across the table, her eyes a genuine smile.

Isn’t that just like God? To accept us just as we are. To make us feel a part even when we don’t. To take all our zit-faced, dirty messes and turn them into beautiful. And that, my friend, is true joy.

Stop.

6 comments:

  1. So very true. Joy is being accepted just as you are, although I am sure you looked a lot better than you thought you did. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!! So true!!! Love you, my joyful friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what beautiful reminder God gave you that day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! It is so true. Even when we want to have it all together we don't and that what real life in "lifegroup" is all about anyway.
    Brooke:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Isn’t that just like God? To accept us just as we are. To make us feel a part even when we don’t." Yes, indeed. Joy in being accepted.
    Beautiful-

    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! What a great example and reminder, thank you!

    ReplyDelete